Friday, July 30, 2010

In Defense of Pillow Nursing

While researching the benefits of co-sleeping with a newborn I read that an infant's nighttime behaviors only make sense in the context of the mother.

Last night I found that a new mother's nighttime behaviors only make sense in the context of the newborn.

After I drifted off to sleep last night, Dave took Evelyn from beside me and placed her in her bassinet beside the bed. A few hours later, when Dave turned off the t.v. and pulled the blanket up over me, I told him (in my sleep) "No honey, there's too much material around Evelyn". At which point, he looked over at me and realized I was trying to nurse a pillow.

Later, he told me that on a related note, when he put Evelyn down in the bassinet, she pursed her lips and "nursed in her sleep".

See, we need to be together. We don't make any sense otherwise.

3 comments:

  1. Awww! That's so cool, and just goes to show that a nursing mother has an awareness while asleep and can keep her baby safe while cosleeping. You and Evelyn are such a wonderful pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My HUSBAND nursed a pillow in his sleep when we were first time bleary-eyed parents. He was dreaming that he could breastfeed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i love it!
    it's so, so true about the awareness and sleep-synche. brett stopped waking up after a few days, because lucy never cried- i always seemed to wake up and start nursing her before she totally woke up. blissful!

    ReplyDelete