Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's hot. I mean really hot. The rising mercury is making my preconceived notions of spending the entire summer meandering long, light dappled trails and meeting up with friends at various playgrounds look slightly less realistic.

The only places I can envision myself spending these sweltering, South Carolina summer afternoons are beside my gracious friend's pool or somewhere heavily shaded... by a roof... like my house.

But, the pool is not always an option and lounging in the house everyday is beginning to compromise the integrity of our electrical devices/ appliances (have I mentioned Aiden loves electricity?). So, on a sticky, sweaty afternoon last week, I thought I'd save Dave from untangling yet another mass of knotted cords and  break out a can of Barbesol from my stash in my craft closet for a "snow day". 

While Aiden mangled cords and risked electric shock in the office, I sneakily emptied the contents of a can onto his play table and added little cotton ball snowmen. I beckoned him from his lair and watched as he descended upon the frothy concoction with delight. I patted myself on the back when he played at the table for almost half an hour (!) and when he began dropping it onto the floor to "ice skate", I was overjoyed that now I would be able to occupy him for another half hour with the task of mopping it up. 

Then I had to pee... and may have become distracted by my phone's Kindle app (has anyone read Swamplandia!?)... and may have overlooked the silence in the living room...

But I couldn't overlook this:



Surprise!

I wiped her eyes before taking this picture. Originally, all that was visible were two big, blue eyes and her smile. She was so excited brother had given her attention (even if it was only to completely smother her in shaving cream). 

I can't say I was upset, Aiden and I shared a good laugh (of which Evie was quite pleased to be the subject). I did earn my glass of Moscato and choco-peanut-butter-graham-which that day though.









2 comments:

  1. Evie is the cutest snowgirl ever!

    See, this is what I'm talking about. You handle it gracefully, I would've freaked out. I'm doing better though! I'm linking to this later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Jenny!! Just reward yourself with choco-peanut-butter-graham-wiches at the end of the day! : )

    ReplyDelete